Smartphones are an indispensable part of our lives and we depend on them for news, messaging, eCommerce, work, finances, entertainment, and learning. There are more than 6 billion mobile devices across the world and are set to overgrow the world population by 2022.
Smartphones are so versatile because of the host of apps they have on them, as just like any computing device the hardware alone cannot do anything on its own. Therefore, the user experience of these apps needs to be impeccable in the design for positive elements and to provide a hassle-free experience. Mobile UX (short for User Experience) design tips are there for helping developers to achieve greater acceptability and efficiency levels.
Here are some great tips for mobile UX designs taken from the world leaders in mobile app designing, namely Google, Apple, and others.
15 Tips for Mobile User Experience Design
Many factors affect the design decisions like mobile devices, how do people use them, and make the design of mobile apps more challenging.
- Research: Carrying out proper research before building the first mock-up or prototype will save you much time and effort. Remember that you are building the app for someone else, who may not even be mobile friendly and a positive UX will help them navigate easily.
- Don’t Clutter: Packing too many elements or data in a single screen for your users to consume, make them run away faster than you can imagine. The small screens make it more difficult to use.
- Prioritize: Do not feel that leaving something out on one screen will compromise user experience. Instead, prioritizing the key features for core objectives and most users will make those features stand out.
- Legible Text: The text font should be simple to read and must have sufficient contrast with the background to be legible. Font size should reduce strain on the eyes.
- Feedback: Our every interaction with the app should give us feedback, like a vibration on touch or tap, and raised letter while using the keyboard. Feedback nature depends on the UI element being used.
- Accessibility: Most overlooked but most important aspect of UX design for close to 15% of the global population with disabilities.
- Environment: Environmental factors affect the UX of different users differently and a great design will behave consistently under most circumstances such as suddenly going offline, battery drain, incoming call during app usage, screen overlay due to notifications, noise in input due to external noise, etc.
- Calls-to-action: Keep them prominent and put secondary items in menus, don’t waste precious space.
- Short Menus: To avoid having the users scroll a long list of options.
- Home Button: Always give the home screen button at the top-left corner.
- Guest Checkouts: Let them make purchases and checkout as guests without login.
- Use Autofill: Autofill maximizes user convenience and takes away the hassle for them.
- Relevant Input field: Choose the most relevant input fields to minimize keyboard input and errors.
- Make image Expandable: Don’t make users pinch-to-zoom texts or images and avoid large& fixed-width elements.
- Maintain Consistency: Consistency can be maintained by implementing standard OS interface elements, standard icons, text styles, and terminology.
There are multiple simple ways to improve user experience, and the developer just needs to be alert and aware of them. In order to start it, you need to prioritize the areas that need work and come up with an achievable schedule and plan. Understand some refinements and UX elements will need more time and resources than others, but with proper and correct UX designs, your users will always thank you later.
Thanks for reading our post “Tips On Building Great User Experience For Your App”, please connect with us for any further inquiry. We are Next Big Technology, a leading web & Mobile Application Development Company. We build high-quality applications to full fill all your business needs.